10 Scriptures to Pray Over Your Children
By: Tiffany Langford
If you haven’t already, you can read about when my daughter was born here. My baby girl was born nine weeks early, and I truly believe prayers are what got us through the hardest time in our lives. I am a firm believer that pray moves mountains. Prayer can change an entire course of history.
It’s important to pray for the well being of our children (or future children!) Cover your family in prayer from head to toe, then trust God to take care of them.
Here are 10 of my favorite Scriptures to pray over your children.
1. “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” ~1 John 3:1~
I pray that my children would know how much you love them. I speak blessings over their life, that they would fall more and more in love with you each day. I pray that they understand they are children of God, and that they will stand firm no matter what life throws at them, because they know they are loved by an almighty God.
2. “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father – Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.” ~1 John 2:1~
I pray that you protect my children from slipping. But when they do, I pray that they will understand your grace. Keep them from harm’s way and let them know they can rest in your love.
3. “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” ~ Romans 12:2~
I pray that my children would stand out from the crowd. I pray that they would walk the halls of their schools wearing the name of your Son proudly, that they would be a light and example among their peers. Let them know that they do not have to fit into the crowd, but that you created them to stand out, you set them apart.
4. “Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children.” ~Ephesians 5:1~
I pray that my children would follow your example. I pray that they know they are dearly loved and that you are for them, not against them. I pray they understand the direction you give us in your Word is not to harm or control us, but that it is for us to live better lives.
5. “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” ~1 Timothy 4:12~
I pray that my children would not be discouraged by others just because of their youth. Instead, I pray that they are a light an example to their generation and older generations. I pray that they speak and act in love, and stand firm in their faith and purity.
6. “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” ~ Ephesians 4:32
I pray that my children would be compassionate for those who you have placed in their lives. I pray that they would have kind and gentle spirits, and always speak in love. I pray that they never harbor bitterness in their hearts but forgive quickly, just as you have forgiven us.
7. “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.” ~Psalm 138:7~
I pray your protection over my children. Stretch out your hand and cover them against anyone or anything that would try to harm them. Let them know they are protected and loved by you, no matter where they go in life. Keep them on the path you would have them to walk.
8. “I will give thanks to you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.” ~Psalms 139:14
I pray that my children would realize how precious they are to you. I pray you open their eyes to the understanding that you have created them wonderfully, and that you take pride in them. I pray that they would resist the enemy who tells them they are not good enough. I pray they understand they are a priceless treasure in your eyes.
9. “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in your will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” ~Philippians 1:6 ~
I pray that you would bring about your will in their lives. I thank you for the calling you have placed on my lives of my children, and I pray that they would obey your voice. I thank you for the good work you have started in them, and I can’t wait to see where you take them in life.
10. “Before you were formed in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” ~Jeremiah 1:5~
I thank you for giving me my children. I am thankful that you have placed within them purpose before they were even born. I pray that they would beckon to the call on their life, and come to the realization that their destiny is huge. I pray you bring it forward in Jesus name.
Would you like to print this out to hang on the fridge? You can click here for the FREE downloadable PDF!! 10 Scriptures to Pray Over your Children
(Grab your copy of “Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman” below!)
p style=”text-align: center;”>